Liberal Democrats have announced plans to build 300,000 more homes a year and ensure everyone has a decent place to live.
The manifesto plans announced by Nick Clegg include:
- Bringing forward at least 10 new garden cities in England providing tens of thousands of high quality new homes.
- Direct government commissioning of private house building to ensure houses are built at sufficient speed and have proper infrastructure and services.
- A new Housing Investment Bank to provide long term capital for major new developments.
- New Rent to Own homes where your monthly payments steadily buy you a stake in your house.
- New Help to Rent scheme to help millions of young people put down a deposit to rent their first property.
Commenting Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Liberal Democrats Nick Clegg said:
"Liberal Democrats believe everyone should have the opportunity to have a decent home at a cost they can afford.
"That's why we have increased house building in government but we want to go much further.
"And we will help young people who want a home of their own with radical plans to help them buy or rent."