The top stories from my weekly newsletter. You can sign up to receive these at www.watfordlibdems.org/newslettersignup
Over 122 street trees will be planted in Watford this winter, our highest ever number of street trees in one season
This is all part of our work to plant 20,000 trees in our town over the next four years and these street trees will be added to the 4000 garden trees we gave out last week.
The locations were suggested by residents who proposed the tree sites, and requests can still be submitted throughout the year at www.watford.gov.uk/treeplanting
This week, Cllr Ian Stotesbury and I wrote to London Mayor Sadiq Khan calling on him to delay the implementation of his ULEZ expansion until residents in Watford are supported to switch to less polluting vehicles.
I also asked for Sadiq Khan to rezone stations in Watford to Zone 6 to make public transport more affordable to local residents.
You can find the full story and read the letter at https://www.watfordlibdems.org/news/ulez-002
The rising cost of living is something that is affecting almost everyone across Watford and it is important that we know how it is affecting residents so we can plan which services, advice and help that we need to offer next year.
Healthwatch Hertfordshire have launched a short online survey which you can access at this link which will be used to assist local councils and voluntary groups to plan support and also help Healthwatch to understand how the cost of living emergency is affecting people’s physical and mental wellbeing so they can work to mitigate some of these effects.
Hundreds of spaces are still available on the Hertfordshire Holiday Activity Programmes’ Happy Camps. If you have a school aged children in a Hertfordshire school and you are in receipt of benefits related free school meals they can enjoy free food, sports and craft activity days this winter.
Winter HAPpy camps will be running during the Christmas holidays, available from 22nd Dec until 4th Jan (selected dates, see website for more info), and eligible children and young people can enjoy a choice of free activity sessions, which are a minimum of four hours long. The sessions can include sports, physical activity, craft activities, food and nutrition advice and a free nutritious meal.
You can access a Booking code from your child’s school now and then You will then be able to book your child’s camp at https://sportinherts.org.uk/happy/booking/
Bromet Primary School’s Parent Teacher and Friends Association has published a community cook book to raise funds for the school and the local charity Watford Women’s Centre
The book is full of recipes from local families and the memories that make the recipes special to them. This includes stories from a smoky Tanzanian kitchen to a heartwarming story from WW2.
The book cover is designed by two very talented young people - Mia Gross (aged 8) and Ella Hill (aged 5), both students at the school. Sponsored by local businesses, all proceeds of selling the book will go to the school and Watford Women’s Centre, helping local women in need.
• Until 23 December 2022 - Santa's Flight School at Atria Watford shopping centre. Step on board Santa’s magical sleigh and get ready for a festive flight like no other. Free to all, at Santa’s Flight School, pull the reins and help Rudolph take flight in an enchanting Christmas experience for kids of all ages. Book and find out more at www.atriawatford.com
• Until 28 January -Watford Museum's exhibition "What Watford means to Me". This will include a collection of works from Watford residents, past and present. People have been asked to submit written or visual artefacts to form part of the exhibition and will be shown alongside some of the objects from our centenary celebrations.
• 18 January 2023 - Become a friend of the River Colne Information Evening. Learn about how you can become a friend of the River Colne and take part in the volunteering opportunities available. 6pm-7.30pm at The Pump House Theatre and Arts Centre, 5 Local Board Road, Watford, England, WD17 2JP. More information at rivercolnewatford.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• 18 January 2023 - JThe Big Quiz, with Luther Blissertt OBE DL. Join us for a fun filled evening providing the opportunity to test your knowledge whilst enjoying a hot supper. Tickets are £16 and money raised goes to the Community Fund. Arrive at 6.30pm for a 7pm start at Metropolitan Bushey, Aldenham Road, Bushey, WD23 2TR
• 27 Feb - 11 Mar 2023 - The Merchant of Venice 1936. Watford Palace Theatre presents a ground-breaking production of Shakespeare’s classic, The Merchant of Venice, directed by Artistic Director and Chief Executive, Brigid Larmour, and starring Tracy-Ann Oberman as Shylock. Check out this trailer and order your tickets on the Watford Palace Theatre website.
Domestic abuse help is available at this link.
Wellbeing and mental health support is available here.
Business support is available here.
Cost of Living crisis support from the council is available here.
We have now also launched our warm, welcoming spaces. These are places where you can stay warm while saving on your energy bills and meeting new people. A full list of these spaces is available here. Travel to welcoming spaces using the Arriva Click service is free if you apply the code WELCOME22 on the app.
A list of Hertfordshire roadworks and road closures is available here.
Free independent advice is available from Citizens Advice Watford here.
Report fly tipping: You can report a fly tip or dumped rubbish using our online reporting system here.
Report a pothole: You can report a pothole or other highways fault by following this link.
Parking issues: If you want to apply for a parking permit, pay or appeal a parking fine or report an abandoned vehicle, please follow this link.